Friday, February 26, 2010

Tuned In, Tuned Out

Today as the Center of the Universe (CoTU) and I sat down to lunch, I turned on the tv. This is part of our pattern. We eat lunch in front of some gem we’ve Tivo’ed, and bingo—two birds, one stone. You’d be surprised how a Modern Family episode we didn’t get to see on Wednesday night, for example, brightens up our little lunches, but I digress…


Anyhoo, before I could pull up the Tivo menu, we caught a glimpse of gorgeous blond womanhood in the guest chair on Ellen DeGeneres’ show.



“Wow—who is THAT?” the CoTU wanted to know. And of course he grabbed the remote so I couldn’t move on.

“Felicity Huffman,” I said. “You remember her—you drool all over yourself ask about her every time you see her. She’s in Desperate Housewives. She’s married to William H. Macy, remember?” Meanwhile, Ellen popped a huge photo of said Macy up on their screen. In said photo, said Macy was looking pretty ‘rode hard and put away wet’. I’m just saying…



CoTU was practically speechless.

“How did HE snag a woman like HER?” he demanded.

“Hm,” I offered. “He’s probably a good listener.”

He didn’t hear me.

19 comments:

  1. He's a really good actor, and a nice guy, who makes lots of money! Didn't hubby's mom teach him that handsome is as handsome does?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the second person I've ever encountered who used the term "Rode hard and put away wet." The first was one of my co-workers talking about the new girl.

    Seriously, if I had a nickle for everything mine didn't hear, I could buy myself a harem of good listeners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the selective hearing thing is something males are born with. My boys have perfected it to an art and they're only 8 and 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ain't that the truth!
    Love Macy. Besides being a good listener...he's got big feet.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol - Yes, they are one of the more strange hollywood couples, in my opinion.

    This post certainly rings true with me this week. On Wednesday, I asked DH (literally 5 times throughout the day) to pick up my prescription refill on the way home from work.

    He forgot.

    On Thursday, I called him when he was almost home and asked him to bring the mail inside for me when he arrived.

    He forgot.

    On Friday, he was supposed to bring home take-out for dinner.

    He *did* remember, after first driving to our house and then detouring to head back to the restaurant.

    What we have here is a failure to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you through Nancy at F8HasIt. This is some funny stuff you've got here!

    We guys listen more than you think we do. We only "hear" when it's convenient for us, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, my husband rarely hears me unless I say something lewd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this... you had me laughing out loud!!
    **visiting from Lady Bloggers!**

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like most conversations with my husband. You had me laughing out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from the Lady Bloggers. You're hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! With mine, it is a cricket match.. I can talk all I want, but I'll have to pretty much repeat it all when the match is over:-0

    ReplyDelete
  12. "rode hard and put away wet" is my new favorite saying.

    From the bottom of my heart, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A friend once mangled this expression and told me that someone was "rode wet and put away hard."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, that guy is not terribly attractive. Weird! I didn't know she was married to that guy.

    Stopping by from SITs. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute post! Just stopping by from SITS to say Hello! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really funny:) I think most women can relate to this annoying habit of selective hearing men have but I guess you take the bad with the good and there ya go....I love your humor. Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there.
    I enjoyed your post and reading your profile. I bet a lot of bloggers have no idea who Erma Bombeck was :)


    Stopping by via SITS to say hello!
    Have a great day!

    Harriet

    ReplyDelete