Monday, June 7, 2010

I Shouldn’t Eat My What???

A few nights ago the Center of the Universe (CoTU) and I were in our favorite bookstore, browsing around. It’s one of our favorite things to do, being the wild and crazy people that we are.

As usual, he gravitated to his favorite section, and I gravitated to mine. There’s some variation here occasionally, and we generally start out perusing the new books, the best sellers, and the special displays. But that’s essentially foreplay. When it comes down to business, we know where to find each other. CoTU? –photography. Me? –writing.

You may already know that there are a plethora of books out these days that deal with grammar and the misuse thereof. Many of them have humorous and amusing names. I’m not certain whether this began with the best-selling “Eats, Shoots, and Leaves”, but there’s definitely been a growth in this genre.



“Lapsing into a Comma”, “Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies”, and “Mortal Syntax” are just a few of the recent titles added to the bookstore shelves. I was leafing through “The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier” when something on the shelf caught my eye.



Maybe I was tired, maybe there was a smudge on my glasses, but the spine read: “Why You Shouldn’t Eat Your Bloggers.” Okay… I admit I was a bit taken aback, but I reached out to pick it up. I’m a blogger, I thought. Why would—what are they—oh, hell, just pick it up and find out.

Oh. What it really said was, “Why You Shouldn’t Eat Your Boogers, and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body.”   Not that the book sounded any more interesting, important or compelling with the correct title.



But I’d be more likely to read a book about bloggers than a book about boogers. And that’s the truth.

8 comments:

  1. What word doesnt correlate well to my lunchtime snack and blog break? Boogers.

    HAHAHA. ICK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...why shouldn't one eat his or her boogers? I'm assuming it's because the nose is set to filter out all the bad stuff in the air around us and that's what they contain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewww...this doctor claims it's actually HEALTHY to eat your boogers:

    http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-52786.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think some bloggers would be very tasty compared to most boogers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son would love that booger book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers....." is a good book if you're into the art of gaining useless facts. They have another called "Why Do Men have Nipples?" as well. Should I admit I own them both? I'm a sucker for reads like that because I still have wee ones and they're easy to put down, easy to pick back up, and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I concure. About bloggers over boogers, I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Driving home one day I passed a store's sign, one I pass frequently. Most days it reads 'Christina's Videos.' On this day, however, it read 'Christina's Voodoo.' I drove home wondering how I'd missed THAT before.

    ReplyDelete