Monday, September 7, 2009

(Candy) Corn on the Cob


How yummy does that look? Mmmm… the tastes of summer always include corn on the cob, right? And how about cupcakes for dessert? Definitely. Well, last night we celebrated the unofficial end of summer with our cul-de-sac cookout!


Here’s how it works. First, you have to make sure you have the best neighbors ever living all around you. Then you con somebody into setting up a table in the cul-de-sac. Everyone brings folding chairs, chips, dips, drinks, and side dishes. This year one person grilled chicken for the gang. One blessed neighbor made a super yummy chocolate-raspberry cake, but we don’t have photos of any of that! Why we didn’t take the camera outside so everyone could get credit for the fab food, I just can’t say… Maybe drain bamage…


But, before we went out to the gala soiree, my husband shot this picture of my dessert! It’s corn on the cob. No, it’s cupcakes. No, it’s corn on the… I know, enough.


I have an amazing design/cookbook called “Hello Cupcake” by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson. It’s filled with fun ideas like this one. I couldn’t resist the opportunity to make them for the party. The “kernels” are supposed to be made from Jelly Bellys, but I couldn’t find the colors I needed at the time. So I bought the white ones (vanilla) and bought candy corn to make the yellow ones! The pat of butter is a Starburst candy, and decorating sugar is what you see representing salt. They were easy to make (unlike the Thanksgiving turkeys I attempted last fall) and a big hit! Thanks, “Hello Cupcake”!

2 comments: