Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Of Sad Loss and a Little Update, Too

Shame on me for skipping a day here at Funny Is the New Young, but a dear friend lost her nearly five-year battle with ovarian cancer Sunday. I will miss her greatly. My heart hurts for her lovely, loving, supportive family. Their unity and devotion are exemplary.


Even Erma would understand that sometimes we don’t have to be funny, and that we can just expose our underbellies and ask for a bit of understanding, wouldn’t she? And my sweet friend would want me to use the moment to remind—no, to urge you all to be alert to the symptoms of ovarian cancer, and to support research and awareness efforts of this deadly disease.

As the amazing Anne Lamott would say, “Traveling mercies, Sandy.” I’m glad your pain is over.



On a lighter note, and one of appreciation, the inspiring and insightful writer Nancy at F8hasit has seen fit to make this humble site the “Blog of Note” at her place! Many thanks to her for the honor, and for her confidence in my little offerings. Nancy’s one of the very best, and it means a great deal coming from someone I admire so much.

Meanwhile, in another part of the blogosphere, the adorable Suzanne Westover of 30: Own Up to Being Grown Up has bestowed the Beautiful Blogger award on me! Again, this lovely feedback just reinforces the urge to continue putting it out there, as they say. Thanks, Suzanne—I so appreciate it.

So I have a couple of new buttons on the blog, and I’m grateful for them! And of course, I’m grateful for the readers who take the time to stop by and check out the blog. To paraphrase the old McDonald’s jingle, “We do it all for you-u-u!”

6 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss.My mum has been having her own battles along these lines and it's a hard road.

    I also am a fan of f8hasit. She has some very interesting things to say. Have only just found your blog and am enjoying it thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your friend. It's never easy.

    I'm a big fan of Suzanne's. I never knew they were so funny in Canada. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your friend. I'll keep you and her family in my thoughts and prayers. Congrats on your Blog of Note status and your award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah:

    So sorry to hear about your friend. Ovarian cancer is terrible and often silent. Thanks for reminding us all to stay aware. Also, you deserve the award. I'm on the hunt for a humour award, and when I find it, it's coming for you.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from SITS to say hi.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete