Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Aura

What a week it's been-- marathon cooking and cleaning getting ready for the big celebration(s)! In addition to the regular responsibilities of daily life, prepping for one of the most labor intensive holidays of the year really ate up my week! I never expected to be absent for so long, but sometimes circumstances take over your life... in a good way, though.



So after sharing Thanksgiving Day itself with my brother and sister-in-law at their house, with all of her family included, we went to CoTU's sister and brother-in-law's house for the evening meal and celebration! A grand time was had by all. --and yet...



Because our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter were coming in from Boston Saturday, we had planned another Thanksgiving at OUR house for Saturday night! So we had 14 adults and two kidlets, and as they say-- hilarity ensued. And I don't have to tell you, we had enough food for 300 of our closest friends.



Following are the remarks I made when we gathered everyone from the 87-year old in-laws to the 20-month old littlest one:



Since in the past I have been met with resistance when I ask everyone to share what they are thankful for I’ll make one of my own cheesy little speeches.


Let me just say that:


I’m thankful to still be here


I’m thankful to know that my husband loves me very much (and sometimes says so)


I’m grateful to have a gathering like this one, of family that can come together and share a special day (or within 48 hours of one)


I’m grateful for Dierberg’s (my wonderful local supermarket!) and America’s Test Kitchen


I’m thankful to have a dishwasher and a self-cleaning oven


I’m grateful to still have all my body parts, unlike so many of my dear, sweet friends


I’m thankful that my husband’s family has so completely embraced me and made me part of them


I’m thankful that two of our four kids could be here, with the special partners they brought into our lives (after all, in baseball two out of four is an awesome batting average)


I’m thankful for a beautiful little granddaughter who is with us (!)


I’m grateful that my brother and sister-in-law are here to help me hold up the Rubin end of the rope (Not THAT rope!)


And I’m thankful –and deliriously happy—to announce that our son Rob is going to marry the lovely and wonderful Jessica on May 23, 2010!


And then we ate ourselves into oblivion, and if you like, I'll post the link to the best apple pie recipe I've ever made! But I'm warning you-- it contains five pounds of apples! O. M. G. To die for! The pumpkin pie was equally awesome, and both owe their fabulosity to America's Test Kitchen! Did I mention their recipe for the world's best stuffing??? I should have!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a great Thanksgiving. Mine was equally fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leah! As a total schnorrer, I was hugely disappointed that I had to make all my own food over the last week. If only I lived in the States I could have been living the gastronomic dream! Delighted to hear you had a brilliant brace of celebrations. Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Glad to have you back!

    One of these days, (if I'm lucky) I will get all three of my kids and grandkids in the same room together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had lots of fun!!! So glad to hear!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. America Test Kitchen is wonderful. The best raspberry chiffon pie ever invented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great holiday! Glad a good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great day it must have been and congrats on the new baby next year! How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Leah!! That sounds like so much fun!! Here is an award to start off the month on a good note:-)
    Please accept it at http://themomwrites.blogspot.com/2009/12/another-awardanother-guest-post.html

    ReplyDelete